My life and my thoughts - on faith, culture, politics, whatever comes to my mind

Sunday, April 06, 2008

Chicken, books and other trivia

Of course weekends have always been cherished, but I don't think I've ever appreciated them as much as now that I work from Monday to Friday. Now I definately agree that weekends should be a day longer ... there is never enough time to do all I would like to :).
Not much happened this week, but I decided to put up at least a short post again. Some of the things I love are cooking and reading.
I especially enjoy historical fiction. Here are some recommandations of books I recently read:
  • Anne Perry's WWI series, consisting of five volumes (No graves as yet; Shoulder the sky; Angels in the gloom; At some disputed barricade; We shall not sleep).
  • The Rose of Sebastopol by Katherine McMahon (Victorian England and the Crimean War)
  • Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir (Lady Jane Grey)

We also tried out a funny recipe DH suggested. The pictures may look a little gross, but the result was delicious. It is an interesting way to cook chicken with beer.

Take a (large) beer can, open it and pour a little beer off into a glass. Prepare the chicken, either rubbing it with spices or a mixture of 2 TBS mustard, 2 TBS olive oil, 1 TS salt, about 1 TBS paprika spice and a dash of soy sauce. Place the chicken on the beer can, so that about a third to half of the can is inside the chicken cavity.



Put it upright in the oven at 200° C for about an hour and 15 minutes or until meat is cooked through. The chicken will be really tender and tastes great. We definately had fun trying it :).